Warren E Rose, Pharm.D.
Associate Professor (CHS)
4123 Rennebohm Hall
- PharmD 2004 - Butler University
Warren joined the University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy in 2007 as an Assistant Professor (CHS) in the Pharmacy Practice Division. Prior to arriving at UW, he earned his Pharm.D. from Butler University and then completed a PGY-1 residency in pharmacy practice at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago, IL. Following residency training, he then completed a post-doctoral fellowship in infectious disease pharmacotherapy at the Anti-Infective Research Laboratory at Wayne State University, Detroit, MI.
Dr. Rose's research interests involve the development of S. aureus antimicrobial resistance in relation to bacterial virulence. His laboratory incorporates multiple in vitro modeling systems to evaluate toxin and biofilm production during treatment with both clinically available and investigation antimicrobials. These studies are used to evaluate optimal antibiotic activity, antibiotic penetration into simulated infections, and the development of antibiotic resistance. His clinical studies involve the impact of patient immune responses and bacterial virulence on the treatment outcome of invasive S. aureus infections.
Professional Interests: Antimicrobial pharmacodynamic attainment in clinical infections
Bacterial antimicrobial resistance
- Rose WE, Poppens PT. Impact of biofilm on the in vitro activity of vancomycin alone and in combination with tigecycline and rifampicin against Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2009 Mar;63(3):485-8.
- Crank CW, Scheetz MH Brielmaier B, Rose WE, Patel GP, Ritchie DJ, Segreti J. Comparison of outcomes from daptomycin or linezolid treatment for vancomycin-resistant enterococcal bloodstream infection: a retrospective, multi-center, cohort study. Clin Ther 2010 Sep;32(10):1713-1719.
- Rose WE, Knier RM, Hutson PR. Pharmacodynamic effect of clinical vancomycin exposures on cell wall thickness in heterogeneous vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010 Oct;65(10):2149-54.
- Parra-Ruiz J, Vidaillac C, Rose WE, Rybak MJ. Activity of high dose daptomycin, vancomycin and moxifloxacin alone or in combination with clarithromycin or rifampin in a novel in vitro model of Staphylococcus aureus biofilm. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010 Oct;54(10):4329-34.
- Ybarra JV, Rose WE, Curtis CS, Sacks GS. Sterility of pediatric lipid emulsions repackaged by an automated compounding device. J Parenter Enteral Nutr. 2011 May-Jun;35(3):391-4.
- Dow RD, Rose WE, Fox BC, Thorpe JM, Fish JT. Retrospective study of prolonged versus intermittent infusion piperacillin-tazobactam and meropenem in intensive care unit patients at an academic medical center. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. 2011; 19(6): 413-417.
- Moran JJ, Rose WE, Darga AJ, Rohde KA, Hayney MS. Persistence of influenza vaccine-induced antibodies in lung transplant patients between seasons. Transpl Infect Dis. 2011 Oct;13(5):466-70.
- Steed ME, Vidaillac C, Rose WE, Winterfield P, Kaatz GW, Rybak MJ. Characterizing vancomycin-resistant enterococcus strains with various mechanisms of daptomycin resistance developed in an in vitro pharmacokinetic/pharmacodynamic model. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011 Oct;55(10):4748-54.
- Pichereau S, Moran JJ, Hayney MS, Shukla SK, Sakoulas G, Rose WE. Concentration- dependent effects of antimicrobials on Staphylococcus aureus toxin-mediated cytokine production from peripheral blood mononuclear cells. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012 Jan;67(1):123-9.
- Pichereau S, Pantrangi M, Couet W, Badiou C, Lina G, Shukla SK, Rose WE. Simulated antibiotic exposures in an in vitro hollow fiber infection model influence toxin gene expression and production in community-associated MRSA strain MW2. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Jan;56(1):140-7.
- Rose WE, Fallon MJ, Moran JJM, Vanderloo JP. Vancomycin-tolerance in MRSA: Influence of vancomycin, daptomycin, and telavancin on differential resistance gene expression. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012 Aug 56:4422-4427.
- Berti AD, Wergin JE, Girdaukas GG, Hetzel SJ, Sakoulas G, Rose WE. Altering the proclivity towards daptomycin esistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus using combination with other antibiotics. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012. Oct;56(10):5046-53.
- Rose WE, Schulz LT, Andes D, Striker R, Berti AD, Hutson PR, Shukla SK. Addition of ceftaroline to daptomycin after the emergence of daptomycin-nonsusceptible Staphylococcus aureus during therapy improves anti-bacterial activity. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2012 Oct;56(10):5296-302.
- Hou Y, Tianero MD, Kwan JC, Wyche TP, Michel CR, Ellis GA, Vazquez-Rivera E, Braun DR, Rose WE, Schmidt EW, Bugni TS. Structure and Biosynthesis of the Antibiotic Bottromycin D. Org Lett. 2012 Oct 5;14(19):5050-3.
- Humphries RM, Kelesidis T, Tewhey R, Rose WE, Nizet V, Sakoulas G. Genotypic and Phenotypic Evaluation of the evolution of high-level daptomycin non-susceptibility in vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2012 Nov;56(11):6051-3.
- Rose WE, Eickhoff JC, Shukla, SK, Pantrangi MH, Rooijakkers S, Cosgrove SE, Nizet V, Sakoulas G. Serum Concentration of interleukin-10 (IL-10) At time of hospital admission Is predictive of mortality in patients with Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia. Infect Dis. 2012 Nov 15;206(10):1604-11.
- Belley A, Arhin FF, Sarmiento I, Deng H, Rose WE, Moeck G. Pharmacodynamics of a simulated single dose of 1200 mg oritavancin in an in vitro pharmacokinetic / pharmacodynamic model of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2013 Jan;57(1):205-11.
- Strydom SJ, Rose WE, Otto DP, Liebenberg W, de Villiers MM. Poly(amidoamine) dendrimer-mediated synthesis and stabilization of silver sulfonamide nanoparticles with increased antibacterial activity. Nanomedicine 2013 Jan;9(1):85-93.
- Werth BJ, Sakoulas G, Rose WE, Pogliano J, Tewhey R, Rybak MJ. Ceftaroline Increases Membrane Binding and Enhances the Activity of Daptomycin against Daptomycin-Nonsusceptible Vancomycin-Intermediate Staphylococcus aureus in a Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic Model. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Jan;57(1):66-73.
- Descourouez JL, Jorgenson MR, Wergin JE, Rose WE. Fosfomycin synergy in vitro with amoxicillin, daptomycin, and linezolid, against vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium from renal transplant patients with infected urinary stents. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Mar;57(3):1518-20.
- Vidaillac C, Gardete S, Tewhey R, Sakoulas G, Kaatz GW, Rose WE, Tomasz A, Rybak MJ. Alternative Mutational Pathways to Intermediate Resistance to Vancomycin in Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus.J Infect Dis. 2013 in press.
- Rose WE, Berti AD, Hatch JB, Maki DG. Relationship of in vitro Synergy and Treatment Outcome with Daptomycin plus Rifampin in Patients with Invasive Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus Infections. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 in press
- Kullar R, Goff DA, Schulz LT, Fox BC, Rose WE. The EPIC Challenge of Optimizing Antimicrobial Stewardship: the Role of Electronic Medical Records and Technology. Clin Infect Dis 2013 in press.