- School of Pharmacy
- University of Wisconsin
- 777 Highland Ave.
- Madison, WI 53705
Mary S Hayney, R.Ph, Pharm.D., MPH, BCPS
4121 Rennebohm Hall
- B.S. - University of Minnesota
- PharmD. - University of Minnesota
- Residency - Pharmacy Practice at the Mayo Clinic and Foundation
- Fellowship - Mayo Vaccine Research Group, Clinical Pharmacology Unit
Background: Mary joined the University of Wisconsin's School of Pharmacy in 1997. Her research interests are in host response to vaccination and protective effects, especially as they relate to immunosuppressed individuals. Her clinical practice is with the lung transplant group at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics. Her postdoctoral training was at the Mayo Clinica and Foundation in Clinical Pharmacology and Vaccine Research. Her laboratory studies T cell responses following immunization.
Professional Interests: Mechanisms of vaccine response
- Friedman EM, Hayney MS, Love GD, Urry H, Rosenkranz MA, Davidson RJ, Singer BH, Ryff CD. Social relationships sleep quality and interleukin-6 in aging women. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2005;102(51)18757-62
- Hayney MS, Muller D. Effect of influenza on CYP3A4 activity in vivo. J Clin Pharmacol 2003;43:1377-81.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Lipsky JJ. "A noninvasive 'swish and spit' method for collecting nucleated cells for HLA typing by PCR in population studies." Hum Hered 1996; 46:108-111.
- Hayney MS, Buck JM, Muller D. Production of interferon gamma and interleukin-10 after inactivated hepatitis A immunization. Pharmacother 2003;23(4):431-5.
- Kennedy DT, Hayney MS, Lake KD. "Azathioprine and allopurinol: The price of an avoidable drug interaction." Ann Pharmacother 1996; 30:951-954.
- Hayney MS, Love GD, Buck JM, Ryff CD, Singer B, Muller D. The association between psychosocial factors and vaccine-induced cytokine production. Vaccine 2003; 21: 2428-32
- Hayney MS, Welter DL, Reynolds AM, Francois M, Love RB. High dose hepatitis B vaccine in patients waiting for lung transplantation. Pharmacother 2003; 23(5): 555-60
- Steiner MA, Vermeulen LC, Mullahy J, Hayney MS. Factors influencing decisions regarding influenza vaccination and treatment: A survey of healthcare workers. Infect Cont Hosp Epidemiol 2002;23:625-7.
- Hayney MS, Love GD, Carlberg BM, Buck JM, Muller D. Tetanus seroprevalence among farmers: A preliminary study. J Rural Health 2003; 19:109-112.
- Hayney MS, Buck JM. Effect of age and degree of immune activation on CYP3A4 activity after influenza immunization. Pharmacother 2002;22:1235-8.
- Hayney MS, Hammes RJ, Fine JP, Bianco JA. Effect of influenza immunization on CYP3A4 activity. Vaccine 2001;20:858-61.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Jacobson RM, Schaid DJ, Lipsky JJ. "The influence of the HLA-DRB1I13 allele on measles vaccine response." J Investig Med 1996; 44:261-264.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Dimanlig P, Schaid DJ, Jacobson RM, Lipsky JJ. "Polymorphisms of the TAP2 gene may influence antibody response to live measles vaccine virus." Vaccine 1997; 15(1):3-6.
- Milfred SK, Lake KD, Anderson DJ, Hayney MS, Love KR, Emery RW, Pritzker MR. "Practices of cardiothoracic transplant centers regarding hepatitis C seropositive candidates and donors." Transplantation 1994; 57:568-572.
- Hayney MS, Dimanlig P, Lipsky JJ, Poland GA. "Utility of a 'swish and spit' technique for the collection of buccal cells for TAP haplotype determination." Mayo Clin Proc 1995; 70:951-954.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Jacobson RM, Rabe D, Schaid DJ, Jacobsen SJ, Lipsky JJ. "The relationship of HLA-DQA1 alleles and humoral antibody following measles vaccination." Intl J Infect Dis 1998; 2:143-146.
- Hayney MS, Weigert NA, Pelsue FL, Fohl RM, Jankowska-Gan E, Love RB, Burlingham WJ. T cell responses to hepatitis B surface antigen in lung transplant patients. Pharmacotherapy 2007;27(9):1248-52
- Dopp JM, Wiegert NA, Moran JJ, Muller D, Weber S, Hayney MS. Humoral immune responses to influenza vaccination in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Pharmacotherapy 2007;27(9): 1248-52.
- Burlingham WJ, Love RB, Jankowska-Gan E, Haynes LD, Xu Q, Bobadilla JL, Meyer KC, Hayney MS, Braun, RK, Greenspan DS, Gopalakrishnan B, Yoshida S, Brand DD, Smith Jr. GN, Cummings OW, Cai J, Wilkes DS. Col V specific, IL17- and monokine-dependent cellular immunity predisposes to obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantation. J Clin Invest (in press)
- Bartell JC, Roberts KA, Schutte NJ, Sherman KC, Muller D, Hayney MS. Effect of needle temperature on pain ratings following injection. Clin J Pain (in press)
- Hayney MS, Moran JJM, Weigert NA, Burlingham WJ. Lung transplant patients? T cell responses to influenza vaccine viruses between seasons. Vaccine 2008;62:2596-2600.
- Bobadilla JL, Love RB, Jankowska-Gan E, Haynes LD, Braun RK, Hayney MS, Munoz del Rio, A, J, Greenspan DS, Heidler KM, Cummings OW, Takekazu I, Brand D, Presson R, Burlingham WJ, Wilkes DS. Collagen type V specific memory T-cells and primary graft dysfunction in lung transplantation. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2008;177(6):660-8.
- Burlingham WJ, Love RB, Jankowska-Gan E, Haynes LD, Xu Q, Bobadilla JL, Meyer KC, Hayney MS, Braun, RK, Greenspan DS, Gopalakrishnan B, Yoshida S, Brand DD, Smith Jr. GN, Cummings OW, Cai J, Wilkes DS. Col V specific, IL17- and monokine-dependent cellular immunity predisposes to obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantation. J Clin Invest 2007;117(11):3498-3506.
- Hayney MS, Moran JJM, Weigert NA, Burlingham WJ. Lung transplant patients? T cell responses to influenza vaccine viruses between seasons. Vaccine 2008;62:2596-2600. PMID: 18420314
- Dopp JM, Wiegert NA, Moran JJ, Francois ML, Radford KL, Thomas H, Love RB, Hayney MS. Effect of annual influenza immunization on antibody response in lung transplant patients. Prog Transplant 2009 Jun;19(2):153-9. PMID: 19588665
- Vardeny O, Sweitzer NK, Detry MA, Moran J, Johnson MR, Hayney MS. Decreased immune responses to influenza vaccination in patients with heart failure. J Cardiac Fail 2009;15:368-73. PMID: 19398087
- Vardeny O, Moran JJM, Sweitzer NK, Johnson MR, Hayney MS. Decreased T-cell responses to influenza vaccination in patients with heart failure. Pharmacother 2010; 30(1): 10-16. PMID: 20030468
- Moran JJM, Rose WE, Darga AJ, Rohde KA, Hayney MS. Persistence of influenza vaccine-induced antibodies in lung transplant patients between seasons. Tranpl Inf Dis 2011; 13:466-70. PMID:21615847
- Pichereau S, Moran JJ, Hayney MS, Shukla SK, Sakoulas G, Rose WE. Concentration-dependent effects of antimicrobials on Staphylococcus aureus toxin-mediated cytokine production from peripheral blood mononuclear cells. J Antimcrob Chemother 2011 Epub PMID: 21980070