- School of Pharmacy
- University of Wisconsin
- 777 Highland Ave.
- Madison, WI 53705
David A Mott, Ph.D., MS, RPh
2509 Rennebohm Hall
- B.S. 1988 Pharmacy - University of Wisconsin
- M.S. 1992 Pharmacy Admin. - University of Wisconsin
- Ph.D. 1995 Pharmacy Admin. - University of Wisconsin
David received his BS (1988) in pharmacy, and his MS (1992) and PhD (1995) in pharmacy administration, all from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His minor fields of study for his PhD degree were economics and public policy analysis. Dr. Mott practiced pharmacy in community settings. Before joining the University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy faculty in 1998, Dr. Mott was on the faculty at the Ohio State University College of Pharmacy. He was named Teacher of the Year in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2006 by first year doctor of pharmacy students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. He has published widely in pharmacy journals and outside of pharmacy. He currently teaches courses in the health care system, pharmacy economics, and pharmacy service, program and policy evaluation research methods.
Dr. Mott has two primary areas of research: the pharmacy labor market and economic factors associated
with drug utilization. His research of the pharmacist labor market has investigated trends in the supply and
demand of pharmacists, factors associated with the number of hours worked by pharmacists, and trends in
turnover rates, and reasons pharmacists leave jobs. In 2000, 2004 and 2009 he worked on the National Pharmacist Workforce Survey. His research of economic factors associated with drug utilization has examined the role of types of prescription drug insurance on the cost of drugs used. A recent study examined how Medicare Part D was associated with changes in drug use and costs among eligible seniors. Current studies examine the impacts of Medicare Part D, pharmacist interventions to prevent falls among at risk seniors, the use of multiple sources of prescription drugs by patients, trends in pharmacist vacancies in Wisconsin pharmacies, and benchmarking the capacity of the pharmacist workforce.
Pharmacy labor market and economic factors associated
with drug utilization
- Mott DA, Thorpe JM, Thorpe CT, Kreling DH, Gadkari AS. Effects of Medicare Part D on drug affordability and use: Are seniors with prior high out-of-pocket drug spending affected more? Res Soc Admin Pharm. 2010 Jun;6(2):90-9.
- Martin BA, Chui MA, Thorpe JM, Mott DA, Kreling DH. Development of a scale to measure pharmacists' self-efficacy in performing medication therapy management services. Res Soc Admin Pharm. 2010 Jun;6(2):155-61.
- Dilworth T, Mott DA, Young HN. Analyzing pharmacist communication with Spanish speaking
patients: a review of the literature. Res Soc Admin Pharm. 2009, 5(2):108-20.
- Gadkari A, Mott D, Kreling D, Bonnarens J. Pharmacy Characteristics Associated with Drug
Therapy Services Offered in Non-metropolitan Community Pharmacies, J Rural Health 2009, 25(3):290-5.
- Walton S, Mott D, Knapp K, Cooksey J, Fisher G. Pharmacy School Graduates By State and Region: 2000-2009, J Am Pharm Assoc, in review.
- Goode, K, Mott D, Chader R. Collaborations to facilitate success of community pharmacy practice-based research networks, J Amer Pharm Assoc. 2008, 48(2), 153-162.
- Gaither CA, Kahaleh AA, Doucette WR, Mott DA, Pederson CA, Schommer JC. A modified
model of pharmacists' job stress: the role of organizational, extra-role, and individual factors on work-related outcomes. Res Social Adm Pharm. 2008 Sep;4(3):231-43.
- Gadkari A, Mott D, Kreling D, Bonnarens J. Characteristics of unmet demand for pharmacists: a case-study of rural community pharmacies in Wisconsin. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2008, 48(5), 598-609.
- Mott D, Cline R, Kreling D, Pedersen C, Doucette W, Gaither C, Schommer J. Exploring trends and determinants of pharmacist wage rates: evidence from the 2000 and 2004 national pharmacist workforce survey. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2008, 48(5), 586-597.
- Gaither C, Nadkarni A, Mott D, Schommer J, Doucette W, Kreling D, Pedersen C. Should I stay or should I go? The influence of individual and organizational factors on pharmacists' future work plans.
J Am Pharm Assoc. 2007 Mar-Apr;47(2):165-73.
- Brown LM, Schommer JC, Mott D, et al. Examining gender salary disparities: an analysis of the 2003 multistate salary survey. Res Social Adm Pharm. Sep 2006;2(3):370-387.
- Doucette W, Kreling D, Schommer J, Gaither C, Mott D, Pedersen C. ?Evaluation of Community Pharmacy Service Mix: Evidence from the 2004 National Pharmacist Workforce Study?, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 46(3):348-55, 2006.
- Schommer J, Pedersen C, Gaither C, Doucette W, Kreling D, Mott DM. ?Pharmacists' Desired and Actual Times in Work Activities: Evidence of Gaps From the 2004 National Pharmacist Workforce Study?, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 46(3):340-7, 2006.
- Kreling D, Doucette W, Mott D, Gaither C, Pedersen C, Schommer J. ?Community Pharmacists' Work Environments: Evidence From the 2004 National Pharmacist Workforce Study?, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 46(3):331-9, 2006.
- Mott D, Doucette W, Gaither C, Kreling, D, Pedersen C, Schommer J. ?Pharmacist Participation in the Workforce: 1990, 2000, and 2004?, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association, 46(3):322-30, 2006.