- Mailing Address
- School of Pharmacy
- University of Wisconsin
- 777 Highland Ave.
- Madison, WI 53705
- 1038 Rennebohm Hall
- Phone: 608-263-2496
- Fax: 608-265-5421
Paul R Hutson, Pharm.D., M.S.
Associate Professor (CHS)
Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Prof. Hutson's present research is in the areas of palliative care, and separately in population pharmacokinetic modeling. Current active or pending palliative care protocols include the treatment or prevention of chemotherapy-induced palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia and peripheral neuropathy.
Dr. Hutson also provides population pharmacokinetic modeling services using NONMEM and S-ADAPT to University of Wisconsin researchers through the UW Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. Collaborative activities in pharmacokinetic modeling include sparse sampling in murine research cohorts, porcine retinoid deprivation/supplementation, and bioengineering devices. UW researchers seeking consultation or pharmacokinetic modeling services are welcome to contact Paul Hutson directly, or through the UW ICTR Biostatistics and Research Design Resource: https://ictr.wisc.edu/bard
Background: Paul Hutson, whose baccalaureate and master's degrees are in biochemistry and chemistry respectively, completed an oncology/pharmacokinetics fellowship at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He was a faculty member at the University of Illinois for five years before moving to Madison in 1988. He now practices pharmacy with the oncology and palliative care group at the UW Hospital and Clinics and is an Associate Member of the UW Comprehensive Cancer Center. His two course offerings at the School of Pharmacy are Clinical Pharmacokinetics and Dietary Supplements.
Professional Interests: • Population Pharmacokinetic / Pharmacodynamic Modeling
• Cancer-related Palliative Care:
- Therapeutic Opiate Use / Global Regulatory Barriers
- Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia
- Chemotherapy-induced neuropathy
- B.S. 1975 Biochemistry - University of California-Los Angeles
- M.S. 1976 Chemistry - University of Washington
- B.S. Pharm. 1979 Pharmacy - University of Washington
- Pharm.D. 1981 - University of Tennessee
- Surles RL, Hutson PR, Valentine AL, Miles JP, Tanumihardjo SA. 3,4-didehydroretinol kinetics differ Turing lactation in sows on a retinol depletion regimen and the serum:milk 3,4-didehydroretinol:retinol ratios are correlated. J Nutr 2011; 141: 554-9. PMID: 21310863
- Rose WE, Knier RM, Hutson PR. Pharmacodynamic effect of clinical vancomycin exposures on cell wall thickness in heterogeneous vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010 Oct;65:2149-54. PMID: 20693174
Engle DB, Belisle JA, Gubbels JA, Petrie SE, Hutson PR, Kushner DM, Patankar MS. Effect of acetyl-l-carnitine on ovarian cancer cells' proliferation, nerve growth factor receptor (Trk-A and p75) expression, and the cytotoxic potential of paclitaxel and carboplatin. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;112:631-6. PMID: 20693174
Lipinski RJ, Hutson PRHannam PW, Nydza RJ, Washington IM, Moore RW, Girdaukas GG, Peterson RE, Bushman W. Dose- and route-dependent teratogenicity, toxicity, and pharmacokinetic profiles of the hedgehog signaling antagonist cyclopamine in the mouse. Toxicol Sci. 2008;104:189-97. PMID: 18411234
- Hutson PR, Oettel K, Douglas J, Ritter M, Messing E, Staab MJ, Alberti D, Horvath D, Wilding G. Effect of medical castration on CYP3A4 enzyme activity using the erythromycin breath test. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008;62:373-7. PMID: 17922273
- Sansone JM, Wilsman NJ, Leiferman EM, Conway J, Hutson P, Noonan KJ. The Effect of Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics on Growing Cartilage in the Lamb Model. J Ped Ortho 2008; 2009; 29: 189-95. PMID: 19352246
- Dubey S, Hutson P, Alberti D, Arzoomanian R, Binger K, Volkman J, Feierabend C, Wilding G, Schiller JH. Phase I study of docetaxel and topotecan in patients with advanced malignancies. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2005;11:131-8. PMID: 16595064.
- Hutson PR, Love RR, Havighurst TC, Rogers E, Cleary JF., Effect of exemestane on tamoxifen pharmacokinetics in postmenopausal women treated for breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2005; 11: 8722-7. PMID: 16361559
- Mould DR, Holford NH, Schellens JH, et al. Population pharmacokinetic and adverse event analysis of topotecan in patients with solid tumors. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2002;71:334-48. PMID: 12011819.