- School of Pharmacy
- University of Wisconsin
- 777 Highland Ave.
- Madison, WI 53705-2222
Melgardt M de Villiers, Ph.D.
4115 Rennebohm Hall
- B.Pharm. 1986 Pharmacy - North-West University, South Africa
- M.Sc. 1988 Pharmacy - North-West University, South Africa
- Ph.D. 1993 Pharmaceutics - North-West University, South Africa
- PgDip 1996 Higher Education - North-West University, South Africa
Melgardt received his B.Pharm. degree (1986), M.Sc. (1988) and Ph.D. (1993) degrees in pharmaceutics, and Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education and Learning (PgDip, 1996) from the North-West University in Potchefstroom, South Africa. After serving on the faculties of North-West University and the University of Louisiana at Monroe and a sabbatical year at the University of Iowa, he joined the Wisconsin faculty in 2005. He is an adjunct professor at the School of Pharmacy at North-West University, Potchefstroom, South Africa. He is an associate editor of AAPS PhramSciTech and Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology. In 2005 he was the recipient of the Outstanding Professor in the College of Health Sciences at the University of Louisiana at Monroe and in 2012 he was elected as a fellow of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (AAPS).
His research focuses on determining the pharmaceutical science involved in developing an understanding of the pharmaceutics, engineering, and materials sciences principles underlying drug delivery technologies and applying these principles to the design, development, and manufacture of improved drug delivery systems. Especially, developing innovative nano and micro particulate drug delivery systems for treating and preventing communicable and chronic diseases. He is the author or co-author of more than 150 peer reviewed publications and have presented his research either orally or as posters more than 100 times at meetings all over the world.
- AI, H., JONES, S.A., DE VILLIERS, M.M. & LVOV, Y.M. 2003. Nano-encapsulation of furosemide microcrystals for controlled drug release. Journal of controlled release, 86:59-68.
- DEVARAKONDA, B., HILL, R.A. & DE VILLIERS, M.M. 2004. The effect of PAMAM dendrimer generation size and surface functional group on the aqueous solubility of nifedipine. International journal of pharmaceutics, 284(1-2):133-140.
- ZAHR, A.S., DE VILLIERS, M.M. & PISHKO, M.V. 2005. Encapsulation of drug nanoparticles in self-assembled macromolecular nanoshells. Langmuir, 21(1): 403-410.
- DEVARAKONDA, B., HILL, R.A., LIEBENBERG, W., BRITS, M. & DE VILLIERS, M.M. 2005. Comparison of the aqueous solubilization of practically insoluble niclosamide by polyamidoamine (PAMAM) dendrimers and cyclodextrins. International journal of pharmaceutics, 304:193-209.
- YANG, W. & DE VILLIERS, M.M. 2004. The solubilization of the poorly water-soluble drug nifedipine by water-soluble 4-sulphonic calix[n]arenes. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics, 58(3):629-636.
- PARGAONKAR, N., LVOV, Y.M., LI, N., STEENEKAMP, J.H. & DE VILLIERS, M.M. 2005. Controlled release of dexamethasone from microcapsules produced by polyelectrolyte layer-by-layer nanoassembly. Pharmaceutical research, 22(5):826-835.
- CAIRA, M.R., ROBBERTSE, Y., BERGH, J.J., SONG, M. & DE VILLIERS, M.M. 2003. Structural characterization, physicochemical properties, and thermal stability of three crystal forms of nifedipine. Journal of pharmaceutical sciences, 92(12):2519-2533.
- WU, T., SUN, Y., LI, N., DE VILLIERS, M.M. & YU, L. 2007. Inhibiting surface crystallization of amorphous indomethacin by nanocoating. Langmuir, 23(9): 5148-5153.
- DE VILLIERS, M.M., OTTO, D.P. STRYDOM, S.J. & LVOV, Y.M. 2011. Introduction to nanocoatings produced by layer-by-layer (LbL) self-assembly. Advanced drug delivery reviews, 63(9): 701-715.
- DE VILLIERS, M.M. & LVOV, Y.M. 2011. Layer-by-layer self-assembled nanoshells for drug delivery. Advanced drug delivery reviews, 63(9): 699-700.