Connie Kraus, PharmD, BS
- Pharmacist contributions to primary care, medical home models of practice
- Integration of evidence-based decision making into pharmacy student education
- Development of international pharmacy education standards
- Kraus C. Strategies for Selecting Safe and Effective Medications for Pregnant and Lactating Women. 2017 Wisconsin Nurses Association APRN Forum Pharmacology Clinical Update. Green Bay, WI. April 7, 2017.
- Kraus C. Pharmacist and Global Health. 2015 Fall Milwaukee Symposium. Invited key note lecture. Brookfield, WI. October 2, 2015.
- Denise L. Walbrandt Pigarelli, Amanda Margolis, Connie K. Kraus. Student Baseline Knowledge and Confidence in Interpretation of Evidence-Based Medicine. AACP Annual Meeting. Poster presentation. National Harbor, MD. July 12-13, 2015.
- Kraus C. Post-WHI Evidence-based Approaches to Treating Menopause-induced Vasomotor Symptoms. 2015 Pharmacology and Clinical Update. Wisconsin Nurses Association. Invited lecture. Monona, WI. May 1, 2015.
- Seys Ranola T, Kraus C, et al. Education, Administrative Leadership and Systems Strengthening: Pharmacists’ Contributions to Global Health. Global Health Symposium. Madison, WI. April 8, 2015.
- Patient care--clinical pharmacist in family medicine
- Administration--Director of the School of Pharmacy Office of Global Health
- Teaching--clerkship coordination, lecturing, organization of Global Seminar course
- Service--member of the Global Health Institute Educational Committee, member of the Scholarship Committee, member of the Experiential Education Committee, Section Editor for Evidence-Based Practice journal and Senior Author for the Family Physicians Inquiries Network.
Connie Kraus joined the faculty of the UW-School of Pharmacy in 1993. She is a member of the Pharmacy Practice Division and served as Vice Chair 2013-2018. Dr. Kraus became Director of the School of Pharmacy Office of Global Health in 2008 and facilitated the development of international educational and research opportunities. She had an ambulatory care practice in a family medicine clinics within the University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Family Medicine and Community Health. Additionally, she is a Senior Author with the Family Physicians Inquiry Network and a Section Editor for the journal, Evidence Based Practice.
women's health, evidence-based medicine, global health
- BS 1975 BS Pharmacy - University of Wisconsin
- PharmD 1993 Doctor of Pharmacy - University of Wisconsin
Dr. Kraus served as the coordinator for the third-year Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience. A primary focus of this experience is training students to answer clinical questions using evidence-based strategies. Dr. Kraus also taught content related to women's health in the pharmacotherapy sequence. Additionally, she coordinated the Global Health Seminar elective course.
Dr. Kraus practiced in family medicine from 1993-2018. She focused on providing medication therapy management services to patients with complex medication therapies and collaborating with other health care providers to answer clinical questions using the best available evidence.
- Seys Ranola, Kraus C. Contributions of pharmacists in global public health. In: Foundations for Global Health Practice. Lori Diprete Brown ISBN 13:978-1-118-50556-4 Jossey-Bass, A Wiley Imprint. 2018.
- Kraus C. Endometriosis. In: Schwinghammer TL, Koehler JM. Pharmacotherapy Casebook: A Patient Focused Approach, 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill/Appleton Lange; 2017.
- Margolis A, Shah S, Kraus C, Walbrandt Pigarelli D. Longitudinal assessment of pharmacy students' confidence and skill in providing evidence-based answers to clinical questions. Am J Pharm Edu. 2020; 84(6). DOO10.5688/ajpe7884.
- Hahn TW, Kraus C. What is the optimal frequency for dental check-ups for children and adults? J Fam Pract. 2017;66(11):699-700.PMID: 29099514.
- Kraus C. Is pericoital use of oral emergency contraceptives a safe and effective form of long-term birth control? J Fam Pract. 2017;66(10):632-634. PMID: 28991943.
- VanOpdorp J, Kraus C. Nonpharmaceutical treatment of anxiety in institutionalized older adults. Am Fam Physician. 2016;93(3):592-593. PMID: 27035044.
- Lee J, Conniff J, Kraus C, Schrager S. A brief clinical update on hepatitis C—the essential. Wis Med J. 2015;144(6):38-44: PubMed PMID: 26854315.
- Sokhol D, Kraus C. Insulin sensitizers for treatment of menstrual irregularities associated with PCOS. Am Fam Physician. 2015;9(5):390. PubMed PMID: 26371573.
- Sokhol D, Kraus C. Does the intermittent use of NSAIDs by someone with chronic kidney disease affect their kidney function long-term? Evid Based Pract. 2015;18(4):14. NLM UID: 100894030.
- Freund J, Kraus C. How effective are opioids for chronic low back pain? J Fam Pract. 2015;64(9):584-585. PubMed PMID: 26546957.
- Freund J, Kraus C. Risk of gout with thiazides. Am Fam Physician. 2015; 92(7): 622-624.PubMed PMID: 26447445.