Mary S Hayney, PharmD, MPH, FCCP, BCPS
Patients on immunosuppression for the management of their underlying diseases are at high risk of infection, including vaccine-preventable diseases. Immunosuppression may affect vaccine responses. The Hayney laboratory conducts research studies of vaccine responses in immunosuppressed patient groups.
Mary joined the University of Wisconsin's School of Pharmacy in 1997. Her research interests are in host response to vaccination and protective effects, especially as they relate to immunosuppressed individuals. Her clinical practice is with the lung transplant group at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics. Her postdoctoral training was at the Mayo Clinic and Foundation in Clinical Pharmacology and Vaccine Research. Her laboratory studies responses to vaccines, particularly in immunosuppressed populations.
Professional Interests: Mechanisms of vaccine response
- BS - University of Minnesota
- PharmD - University of Minnesota College of Pharmacy
- Residency - Pharmacy Practice at the Mayo Clinic and Foundation
- Fellowship - Mayo Vaccine Research Group, Clinical Pharmacology Unit
- MPH - University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Fellow of the University of Wisconsin Teaching Academy
Lung transplant clinic at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics
- Ritscher AM, LeClair-Netzel M, Friedlander NJ, Howard Stewart DN, Wagner M, Kalscheur N, Caldera F, Hayney MS. Cross-sectional study of hepatitis B antibody status in health care workers immunized as children at an academic medical center in Wisconsin. Vaccine (in press)
- Engstrom KK, Sill DN, Schauer S, Malinowski M, Martin E, Hayney MS. Timeliness of Wisconsin immunization registry (WIR) data entry by Wisconsin pharmacies. JAPhA (in press)
- Caldera F, Hillman L, Saha S, Wald A, Grimes I, Zhang Y, Sharpe AR, Reichelderfer M, Hayney MS. Immunogenicity of high dose influenza vaccine for patients with inflammatory bowel disease on antiTNF monotherapy: A randomized clinical trial. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2019 epub
- Sharpe AR, LeClair-Netzel M, Wagner, M, Kalscheur N, Berlin KJ, Caldera F, Hayney MS. Healthcare worker influenza vaccine waivers at an academic health system. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2019;40(7): 826-8. PMID 31072415
- Ley D, Hayney MS, Caldera F. Third time’s a charm: Immunization strategies for hepatitis B in immunosuppressed patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Dig Dis Sci 2019; 64(7): 1738-9. PMID 310792262
- Meyer JD, Hayney MS, Coe CL, Ninos CL, Barrett B. Differential Reduction of IP-10 and C-Reactive Protein Via Aerobic Exercise or Mindfulness-Based Stress-Reduction Training in a Large Randomized Controlled Trial. J Sport Exerc Psychol. 2019;41(2): 96-106. PMID: 31027457
- Caldera F, Farraye, FA, Rosh JR, Hayney MS. Prudence using serology to determine vaccine induced immunity to measles and varicella in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2019;25(9):e113. PMID: 31165856
- Standaert B, Dort T, Linden J, Madan A, Bart S, Chu L, Hayney MS, Kosinski M, Kroll R, Malak J, Meier G, Segall N, Schuind A. Usability of daily SF36 questionnaires to capture the QALD variation experienced after vaccination with ASO3A-adjuvanted monovalent influenza A (H5N1) vaccine in a safety and tolerability study. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2019; 17:80.
- Caldera F. Hayney MS, Cross RK. Using number needed to harm to put the risk of herpes zoster from tofacitinib in perspective. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2019; 25(6): 955-7. PMID 30605536
- Caldera F, Misch EA, Saha S, Wald A, Zhang Y, Hubers J, Megna B, Ley D, Reichelderfer M, Hayney MS. Immunosuppression does not affect antibody concentrations to measles, mumps, and rubella in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Dig Dis Sci 2019;64(1):189-95. PMID: 30317494
- Ritscher AM, Ranum N, Malak JD, Ahrabi-Fard S, Baird J, Berti AD, Curtis W, Holden M, Jones CD, Kind J, Kinsey W, Koepke R, Schauer L, Stein E, Van Orman S, Ward BG, Hayney MS. Meningococcal serogroup B outbreak response University of Wisconsin-Madison. J Am Coll Health 2019; 67(3): 191-6. PMID: 29952729
- Barrett B, Hayney MS, Muller D, Rakel D, Brown R, Zgierska AE, Checovich MM, Barlow S, Hayer S, Barnet JH, Torres ER, Coe CL. Meditation or exercise for preventing acute respiratory infection (MEPARI-2): A randomized controlled trail. PLOS-One 2018 13(6): e0197778. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0197778
- Caldera F, Saha S, Wald A, Garmoe CA, McCrone S, Megna B, Ley D, Reichelderfer M, Hayney MS. Lower sustained diphtheria and pertussis antibody concentrations in inflammatory bowel disease patients. Digest Dis Sci 2018; 63(6):1532-1540. PMID: 29594970
- Caldera F, Farraye, FA, Wasan S. Hayney MS. Caution when assessing immunity to varicella via antibody testing in inflammatory bowel disease patients. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2017 23(10): E50-1. PMID: 28906295
- Rohde KA, Cunningham KC, Henriquez KM, Nielsen AR, Worzella SL, Hayney MS. A cross-sectional study of tetanus and diphtheria antibody concentrations post vaccination among lung transplant patients compared with healthy individuals. Transpl Infect Dis 2014; 16:871-7.
- Friedman EM, Hayney MS, Love GD, Urry H, Rosenkranz MA, Davidson RJ, Singer BH, Ryff CD. Social relationships sleep quality and interleukin-6 in aging women. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2005;102(51)18757-62
- Hayney MS, Muller D. Effect of influenza on CYP3A4 activity in vivo. J Clin Pharmacol 2003;43:1377-81.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Lipsky JJ. "A noninvasive 'swish and spit' method for collecting nucleated cells for HLA typing by PCR in population studies." Hum Hered 1996; 46:108-111.
- Hayney MS, Buck JM, Muller D. Production of interferon gamma and interleukin-10 after inactivated hepatitis A immunization. Pharmacother 2003;23(4):431-5
- Hayney MS, Love GD, Buck JM, Ryff CD, Singer B, Muller D. The association between psychosocial factors and vaccine-induced cytokine production. Vaccine 2003; 21: 2428-32
- Hayney MS, Welter DL, Reynolds AM, Francois M, Love RB. High dose hepatitis B vaccine in patients waiting for lung transplantation. Pharmacother 2003; 23(5): 555-60
- Hayney MS, Love GD, Carlberg BM, Buck JM, Muller D. Tetanus seroprevalence among farmers: A preliminary study. J Rural Health 2003; 19:109-112.
- Hayney MS, Buck JM. Effect of age and degree of immune activation on CYP3A4 activity after influenza immunization. Pharmacother 2002;22:1235-8.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Jacobson RM, Schaid DJ, Lipsky JJ. "The influence of the HLA-DRB1I13 allele on measles vaccine response." J Investig Med 1996; 44:261-264.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Dimanlig P, Schaid DJ, Jacobson RM, Lipsky JJ. "Polymorphisms of the TAP2 gene may influence antibody response to live measles vaccine virus." Vaccine 1997; 15(1):3-6.
- Hayney MS, Dimanlig P, Lipsky JJ, Poland GA. "Utility of a 'swish and spit' technique for the collection of buccal cells for TAP haplotype determination." Mayo Clin Proc 1995; 70:951-954.
- Hayney MS, Poland GA, Jacobson RM, Rabe D, Schaid DJ, Jacobsen SJ, Lipsky JJ. "The relationship of HLA-DQA1 alleles and humoral antibody following measles vaccination." Intl J Infect Dis 1998; 2:143-146.
- Hayney MS, Weigert NA, Pelsue FL, Fohl RM, Jankowska-Gan E, Love RB, Burlingham WJ. T cell responses to hepatitis B surface antigen in lung transplant patients. Pharmacotherapy 2007;27(9):1248-52
- Dopp JM, Wiegert NA, Moran JJ, Muller D, Weber S, Hayney MS. Humoral immune responses to influenza vaccination in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Pharmacotherapy 2007;27(9): 1248-52.
- Burlingham WJ, Love RB, Jankowska-Gan E, Haynes LD, Xu Q, Bobadilla JL, Meyer KC, Hayney MS, Braun, RK, Greenspan DS, Gopalakrishnan B, Yoshida S, Brand DD, Smith Jr. GN, Cummings OW, Cai J, Wilkes DS. Col V specific, IL17- and monokine-dependent cellular immunity predisposes to obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantation. J Clin Invest (in press)
- Bartell JC, Roberts KA, Schutte NJ, Sherman KC, Muller D, Hayney MS. Effect of needle temperature on pain ratings following injection. Clin J Pain 2008;24(3):260-4. PMID: 18287833
- Hayney MS, Moran JJM, Weigert NA, Burlingham WJ. Lung transplant patients? T cell responses to influenza vaccine viruses between seasons. Vaccine 2008;62:2596-2600.
- Bobadilla JL, Love RB, Jankowska-Gan E, Haynes LD, Braun RK, Hayney MS, Munoz del Rio, A, J, Greenspan DS, Heidler KM, Cummings OW, Takekazu I, Brand D, Presson R, Burlingham WJ, Wilkes DS. Collagen type V specific memory T-cells and primary graft dysfunction in lung transplantation. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 2008;177(6):660-8.
- Burlingham WJ, Love RB, Jankowska-Gan E, Haynes LD, Xu Q, Bobadilla JL, Meyer KC, Hayney MS, Braun, RK, Greenspan DS, Gopalakrishnan B, Yoshida S, Brand DD, Smith Jr. GN, Cummings OW, Cai J, Wilkes DS. Col V specific, IL17- and monokine-dependent cellular immunity predisposes to obliterative bronchiolitis after lung transplantation. J Clin Invest 2007;117(11):3498-3506.
- Hayney MS, Moran JJM, Weigert NA, Burlingham WJ. Lung transplant patients? T cell responses to influenza vaccine viruses between seasons. Vaccine 2008;62:2596-2600. PMID: 18420314
- Dopp JM, Wiegert NA, Moran JJ, Francois ML, Radford KL, Thomas H, Love RB, Hayney MS. Effect of annual influenza immunization on antibody response in lung transplant patients. Prog Transplant 2009 Jun;19(2):153-9. PMID: 19588665
- Vardeny O, Sweitzer NK, Detry MA, Moran J, Johnson MR, Hayney MS. Decreased immune responses to influenza vaccination in patients with heart failure. J Cardiac Fail 2009;15:368-73. PMID: 19398087
- Vardeny O, Moran JJM, Sweitzer NK, Johnson MR, Hayney MS. Decreased T-cell responses to influenza vaccination in patients with heart failure. Pharmacother 2010; 30(1): 10-16. PMID: 20030468
- Moran JJM, Rose WE, Darga AJ, Rohde KA, Hayney MS. Persistence of influenza vaccine-induced antibodies in lung transplant patients between seasons. Tranpl Inf Dis 2011; 13:466-70. PMID:21615847
- Pichereau S, Moran JJ, Hayney MS, Shukla SK, Sakoulas G, Rose WE. Concentration-dependent effects of antimicrobials on Staphylococcus aureus toxin-mediated cytokine production from peripheral blood mononuclear cells. J Antimcrob Chemother 2012; 67(1):123-9. PMID: 21980070