Michelle A Chui, PharmD, PhD
Dr. Chui's research centers on applying human factors approaches and utilizing a systems perspective to studying and characterizing community pharmacy practice and its practitioners. Specifically she would like to partner with community pharmacists to understand processes that impact medication safety and quality of care, so that interventions can be developed and tested that would allow pharmacists to provide effective and efficient medication management. She is funded on a number of projects including a feasibility project to explore handoff (shift change) communication between pharmacists, an evaluation comparing pharmacist-patient communication at the community pharmacy walk-in and drive-through windows, and a study measuring community pharmacy workload using a multi-dimensional human factors model.
Dr. Chui received her BA in Biological Sciences, her PharmD from Creighton University in Omaha, NE, and her MS and PhD in Pharmacy Administration from Purdue University in West Lafayette, IN. For her MS degree, she conducted an empirical evaluation of the benefits and burden that clinical decision support systems (i.e., computer-generated drug utilization review alerts) contributed to community pharmacy practice. Her focus of study for her PhD degree was patient adherence, quality of life, and outcomes research. Dr. Chui practiced pharmacy in community settings during her graduate studies. Before joining the University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy faculty in 2008, Dr. Chui was on the faculty at Midwestern University College of Pharmacy - Glendale in Arizona. Dr. Chui currently teaches courses in Safety and Quality in the Medication Use System and Pharmacy in the Health Care System.
Professional Interests: Applying a human factors approach to improve patient safety in community pharmacies.
- PhD 2001 Pharmacy Administration - Purdue University
- MS 1998 Pharmacy Administration - Purdue University
- PharmD 1996 - Creighton University
- BA 1992 Biological Sciences - University of California, Davis
- Odukoya OK, Stone, JA, Chui MA. How do community pharmacies recover from e-prescription errors? Submitted to Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy
- Chui MA, Stone JA, Martin BA, Croes K., Thorpe JT. Safeguarding Older Adults from Inappropriate Over the Counter Medications: The Role of the Community Pharmacist. Submitted to The Gerontologist
- Maxwell L, Odukoya OK, Stone JA, Chui MA. Barriers to patient care coordination from the physicians’ and pharmacists’ perspective. Submitted to Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy
- Odukoya OK, Stone JA, Chui MA. E-prescribing errors in community pharmacies: exploring consequences and contributing factors. Submitted to the Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association
- Chui MA, Stone JA, Odukoya O, Maxwell L. Using an iterative interview process to facilitate communication and collaboration between pharmacists and physicians. Submitted to Journal of the American Pharmacists Association
- Odukoya O, Chui MA, Pu J. Factors influencing quality of pharmacy-patient interaction at the community pharmacy drive-thru and walk-in windows, Revised and resubmitted to International Journal of Pharmacy Practice
- Chui MA, Stone JA, Thorpe JM, Martin BA. Exploring work system barriers to effective over-the-counter counseling, Accepted to the Human Factors and Ergonomics 2013 Conference Proceedings
- Chui MA, Look KA, Mott DA. The association of subjective workload dimensions on quality of care and pharmacist quality of work life. Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy pii: S1551-7411(13)00094-6. doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2013.05.007
- Odukoya, O. K., & Chui, M. A. E-prescribing: Characterisation of Patient Safety Hazards in Community Pharmacies using a Sociotechnical Systems Approach. BMJ Qual Saf. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2013-001834
- Chui MA, Stone JA. Exploring Information Chaos in Community Pharmacy Handoffs, Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy 2013 May 9. pii: S1551-7411(13)00060-0. doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2013.04.009
- Johnson A, Chui MA, Moore M, Jensen B, Kieser M. Optimizing medication adherence communication between prescribers and pharmacists. Journal of the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin with peer review. May/June 2013; 16(2): 53-6.
- Battaglia JN, Lis JE, Chui MA. Evaluation of a Patient Perspective Module in a Required Medication Safety and Quality Course at a College of Pharmacy, Innovations in Pharmacy 2013; 4(1): 1-9.
- Odukoya O, Chui MA. Relationship between E-prescriptions and Community Pharmacy Workflow, Journal of the American Pharmacists Association 2012; 52(6): e168-e174.
- Chui MA, Stone JA. The prescription handoff in community pharmacy: a study of its form and function. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2012; 52(6): e161-e167.
- Chui MA, Mott DA. Community pharmacists’ subjective workload and perceived task performance: a human factors approach. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association. 2012; 52(6): e153-e160.
- Odukoya O, Chui MA. E-prescribing: A Focused Review and New Approach to Addressing Safety in Pharmacies and Primary Care, Research in Social & Administrative Pharmacy 2012 Oct 10. pii: S1551-7411(12)00301-4. doi: 10.1016/j.sapharm.2012.09.004.
- Odukoya OK, Chui MA. Using Think Aloud Protocols to Assess E-Prescribing in Community Pharmacies. Innovations in Pharmacy. 2012; 3(3): 1-7.
- Odukoya OK, Chui MA. Retail Pharmacy Staff Perceptions of Design Strengths and Weaknesses of Electronic Prescribing. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. doi:10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000779
- Chui MA, Mott DA, Maxwell L. A Qualitative Assessment of a Community Pharmacy Cognitive Pharmaceutical Services Program, Using a Work System Approach. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 2012 May-Jun; 8(3): 206-16.
- Odukoya OK, Chui MA. Commentary on the federal government’s role in influencing e-prescribing use and research. Perspectives in Health Information Management. Spring, 2012: 1-9.
- Walsh KE, Chui MA, Kieser MA, Williams SM, Sutter SL, Sutter JG. Exploring the impact of an automated prescription-filling device on community pharmacy technician workflow. Journal of the American Pharmacists Association 2011 Sep-Oct; 51(5): 613-8.
- Odukoya O, Chui MA, Breslow RM. Application of medication safety strategies by pharmacy students in community pharmacies to improve quality of care. Journal of the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin, Nov-Dec 2010, 33-6.
- Martin BA, Chui MA, Thorpe JM, Mott DA, Kreling DK. Development of a scale to measure pharmacists’ self-efficacy in medication therapy management services. Research in Social Administrative Pharmacy. 2010 May; 6(2): 155-61.
- Johnson JL, Duick DS, Chui MA, Aldasouqi SA. Identifying Prediabetes using Fasting Insulin Levels. Endocrine Practice. 2010; 16(1): 47-52.
- Tafreshi, J, Chui MA, Riley AB. Implementation of an Amiodarone Ambulatory Care Clinic and its Impact on Patient Care. Amer J Health Syst Pharm. 2009 Nov 15; 66: 1997-2001.
- Chui MA, Halton K, Peng J. Exploring Patient-Pharmacist Interaction Differences between the Drive-Thru and Walk-in Windows. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2009 May-Jun; 49(3): 427-31.
- Chui MA. An Elective Course in Personal Finance for Health Care Professionals. Am J Pharm Educ. 2009 Feb 19; 73(1): 6.
- Chui MA. Evaluating the Outcomes of Value-Added Services. In: Zgarrick D, Desselle S, ed. Pharmacy Management. 2nd Ed. New York, NY: McGraw Publishing, 2008
- Brock J, Chui MA. Bilingual Communication Strategies and Attitudes in Counseling Spanish-speaking Patients in Arizona. Arizona Pharmacist. Summer 2008, 20-23, 27.
- Sarna G, Chui MA. Arizona's Prescription Monitoring Program: Decreasing the Misuse of Prescription Controlled Substances. Arizona Pharmacist. Winter 2007.
- Chui MA, Brock J. 2005 Arizona Pharmacist Compensation & Labor Survey (Part 2). Arizona Pharmacist. Jan-Mar 2007, 32-35.
- Loeben G, Chui MA. Conscientious Objection: Does the Zero-Probability Argument Work? American Journal of Bioethics. 2007; 7(6): 28-30.
- Wolfson J, Chui MA, Suggs R. Ethical and Legal Issues. In: Hanson A, Hurd P, Levin B, ed. Introduction to Public Health for Pharmacists. Jones & Bartlett, 2007.
- Chui MA, Skinner M. 2005 Arizona Pharmacist Compensation & Labor Survey (Part 1). Arizona Pharmacist. Oct-Dec 2006, pp. 35-37.
- Vigesaa KA, Downhour NP, Chui MA, Cappellini L, Musil JD, McCallian DM. Efficacy and Tolerability of Compounded Bio-identical Hormone Replacement Therapy. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Compounding. 2004; 8(4): 313-319.
- Hou N, Chui MA, Bennett SJ, Eckert GJ, Oldridge NB, Murray MD. Evaluation of Age and Sex to Health-Related Quality of Life in Patients with Heart Failure. American Journal of Critical Care. 2004 Mar; 13(2): 153-61.
- Chui MA. Evaluating the Outcomes of Value-Added Services. In: Zgarrick D, Desselle S, ed. Pharmacy Management. New York, NY: McGraw Publishing 2004
- Bennett SJ, Oldridge NB, Eckert GJ, Embree JL, Browning S, Hou N, Chui MA, Deer M, Murray MD. Comparison of Quality of Life Measures in Heart Failure. Nursing Research. 2003; 52(4):207-216.\
- Chui MA, Deer M, Bennett SJ, Wanzhu T, Oury S, Brater DC, Murray MD. Association between adherence to diuretic therapy and health care utilization in patients with heart failure. Pharmacotherapy. 2003 Mar; 23(3): 326-32.
- Chrischiles EA, Fulda TR, Byrns PJ, Winckler SC, Rupp MT, Chui MA. The role of pharmacy computer systems in preventing medication errors. JAPhA 2002; 42(3): 439-448.
- Chui MA, Rupp MT. Evaluation of Online Prospective DUR Programs in Community Pharmacy Practice. J Managed Care Pharm 2000, 6(1): 27-32.