- Mailing Address:
- School of Pharmacy
- University of Wisconsin
- 777 Highland Ave.
- Madison, WI 53705
- 1037 Rennebohm Hall
- Pharmacy Practice & Translational Research Division
Natalie Schmitz, MPA, PharmD, PhD
Assistant Professor (CHS)
Dr. Schmitz s translational research program focuses on evaluating the role of alternative and complementary therapies, particularly cannabinoids, in cancer supportive care by investigating pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, exposure-response relationships, safety and efficacy.
Natalie Schmitz, MPA, PharmD, PhD is an Assistant Professor in the Pharmacy Practice Division of University of Wisconsin’s School of Pharmacy and the faculty leader of University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center (UWCCC) Cancer Pharmacology Lab. Prior to joining UW, Dr. Schmitz earned her Master of Public Administration and PharmD at Drake University and then pursued her PhD in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology at University of Minnesota while working as a Medical Cannabis Pharmacist. Dr. Schmitz has expertise in clinical pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, and cannabinoid therapies.
- Masters in Public Administration - Drake University
- PharmD - Drake University
- PhD in Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology - University of Minnesota
- Emmerling S, Martin B, Schmitz N. A survey of Wisconsin pharmacists about cannabinoid products: Are we ready to recommend? J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2021;61(6):e71-e75. doi:10.1016/j.japh.2021.08.003
- Schmitz NS, Krach LE, Coles LD, Schrogie J, Cloyd JC, Kriel RL. Characterizing Baclofen Withdrawal: A National Survey of Physician Experience. Pediatr Neurol. 2021;122:106-109. doi:10.1016/j.pediatrneurol.2021.06.007
- Schmitz N, Richert L. Pharmacists and the future of cannabis medicine. J Am Pharm Assoc (2003). 2020;60(1):207-211. doi:10.1016/j.japh.2019.11.007
- Taube M, Gidal B, Schmitz NS. “Pharmacologic Considerations for Cannabinoid Use in Multiple Sclerosis.” The Journal of the Pharmacy Society of Wisconsin. 2020 March/April; 23(2): 36-41.
- Schmitz NS. “Cannabis Commentary: A Pharmacist’s Perspective.” Pharmacy in History. 2019;61(3 4):102-103.
- Schmitz NS, Krach LE, Coles LD, Mishra U, Cloyd JC, Kriel RL. “A Randomized Dose Escalation Study of Intravenous Baclofen in Healthy Volunteers: Clinical Tolerance and Pharmacokinetics.” PM R. 2017 Aug; 9(8): 743-750.