Quanyin Hu, PhD
The ultimate goal of our laboratory is to leverage delivery approach to address current clinical challenges and facilitate translational research by combining cell therapy, immunotherapy and personalized therapy. Specifically, by adapting the concept of “CIPT”, we are getting inspiration from natural cells to design our delivery tools and particularly interested in engineering cells and cell derivatives as vehicles for delivery of small/macro molecules, proteins, and antibodies to treat a broad array of diseases, including cancer, infectious disease and auto immune disease. We are also leveraging the interaction between synthetic materials and immune cells to modulate immune response in a controllable fashion. To advance the personalized therapy, neoantigen-based vaccination and microbiota research will be emphasized in our lab to transform traditional “one-size-fit-all” treatment to precision medicine for each individual.
Prof. Hu received his Ph.D. degree in Biomedical Engineering from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University under the supervision of Prof. Zhen Gu in 2018. From 2018-2020, he was a postdoc associate in the laboratory of Prof. Robert Langer in Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research at MIT. Prof. Hu joined UW-Madison in 2020 as an assistant professor in the Pharmaceutical Sciences Division at the School of Pharmacy.
2020-present, Assistant Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin-Madison Wisconsin, USA
2018-2020, Postdoc Associate, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, Department of Chemical Engineering Massachusetts, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
2014-2018, Ph.D. Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill | North Carolina State University, USA
2011-2014, M.S. Fudan University, Pharmaceutics, Shanghai, China
2007-2011, B.E. China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing, China
(* corresponding author; # equal contribution)
19. Z. Li, Y. Wang, Q. Hu*; in press, Nano Today, 2021.
18. Q. Hu, H. Li, E. Ogunnaike, Q. Chen, H. Ruan, S. Ahn, E. Dukhovlinova, K. Yang, D. Wen, G. Dotti*, Z. Gu*; accepted, Nature Biomedical Engineering, 2021
17. Z. Li, Y. Wang, Y. Ding, L. Repp, GS Kwon, Q. Hu*; in press, Advanced Functional Materials, 2021.
16. Quanyin Hu, Wujin Sun, Jinqiang Wang, Huitong Ruan, Xudong Zhang, Yanqi Ye, Song Shen, Chao Wang, Weiyue Lu, Ke Cheng, Gianpietro Dotti, Joshua F. Zeidner, Jun Wang, Zhen Gu*. "Conjugation of Haematopoietic Stem Cells and Platelets Decorated with Anti-PD-1 Antibodies Augments Anti-Leukaemia Efficacy". Nature Biomedical Engineering, 2, 2018.
15. Huitong Ruan#, Quanyin Hu#, Di Wen, Qian Chen, Guojun Chen, Yifei Lu, Jinqiang Wang, Hao Cheng, Weiyue Lu*, Zhen Gu*. “A Dual-Bioresponsive Drug Delivery Depot for Immune Checkpoint Blockade”. Advanced Materials, 31, 2019. Front Cover Featured.
14. Quanyin Hu, Wujin Sun, Chenggen Qian, Hunter Bomba, Hongliang Xin , Zhen Gu*. “Relay Drug Delivery for Amplifying Targeting Signal and Enhancing Anticancer Efficacy”. Advanced Materials, 29, 2017.
13. Quanyin Hu, Chenggen Qian, Wujin Sun, Jinqiang Wang, Zhaowei Chen, Hunter Bomba, Hongliang Xin, Qundong Shen, Zhen Gu*. “Engineered Nanoplatelets for Enhanced Treatment of Multiple Myeloma and Thrombus”. Advanced Materials, 28, 2016.
12. Quanyin Hu, Wujin Sun, Yue Lu, Hunter Bomba, Yanqi Ye, Tianyue Jiang, Ari Isaacson, Zhen Gu*. “Tumor Microenvironment-Mediated Construction and Deconstruction of Extracellular Drug-Delivery Depots”. Nano Letters, 16, 2016.
11. Quanyin Hu, Wujin Sun, Chenggen Qian, Chao Wang, Hunter Bomba, Zhen Gu*. “Anticancer Platelet-Mimicking Nanovehicles”. Advanced Materials, 27, 2015. Cover Featured.
10. Zhaowei Chen#, Quanyin Hu#, Zhen Gu*. “Leverage Engineering of Cells for Drug Delivery”. Accounts of Chemical Research, 51, 2018.
9. Quanyin Hu, Wujin Sun, Chao Wang, Zhen Gu*. “Recent Advances of Cocktail Chemotherapy by Combination Drug Delivery Systems”. Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 98, 2016.
8. Quanyin Hu, Qian Chen, Zhen Gu*. “Advances in Transformable Drug Delivery Systems”. Biomaterials, 178, 546-558, 2018.
7. Quanyin Hu, Hunter N Bomba, Zhen Gu*. “Engineering Platelet-Mimicking Drug Delivery Vehicles”. Frontiers of Chemical Science and Engineering, 4, 2017.
6. Quanyin Hu, Prateek Katti, Zhen Gu*. “Enzyme-Responsive Nanomaterials for Controlled Drug Delivery”. Nanoscale, 6, 2014.
5. Quanyin Hu, Ting Kang, Jingxian Feng, Qianqian Zhu, Tianze Jiang, Jianhui Yao, Xinguo Jiang, Jun Chen*. “Tumor Microenvironment and Angiogenic Blood Vessels Dual-Targeting for Enhanced Anti-Glioma Therapy”. ACS Applied Materials Interfaces, 8, 2016.
4. Quanyin Hu, Guangzhi Gu, Zhongyang Liu, Mengyin Jiang, Ting Kang, Deyu Miao, Yifan Tu, Zhiqing Pang, Qingxiang Song, Lei Yao, Huiming Xia, Hongzhuang Chen, Xingguo Jiang, Xiaoling Gao*, Jun Chen*. “F3 Peptide-Functionalized PEG-PLA Nanoparticles Co-Administrated with tLyp-1 Peptide for Anti-Glioma Drug Delivery”. Biomaterials, 34, 2013.
3. Guangzhi Gu#, Quanyin Hu#, Xinye Feng, Xiaoling Gao, Menglin Jiang, Ting Kang, Di Jiang, Qingxiang Song, Hongzhuan Chen, Jun Chen*, “PEG-PLA Nanoparticles Modified with APTEDB Peptide for Enhanced Anti-Angiogenic and Anti-Glioma Therapy”. Biomaterials, 35, 2014.
2. Quanyin Hu, Xiaoling Gao, Ting Kang, Xinye Feng, Di Jiang, Yifan Tu, Qingxiang Song, Lei Yao, Xinguo Jiang, Hongzhuan Chen, Jun Chen*. “CGKRK-Modified Nanoparticles for Dual-Targeting Drug Delivery to Tumor Cells and Angiogenic Blood Vessels”. Biomaterials, 34, 2013.
1. Quanyin Hu, Xiaoling Gao, Guangzhi Gu, Ting Kang, Yifan Tu, Zhongyang Liu, Qingxiang Song, Lei Yao, Zhiqing Pang, Xinguo Jiang, Hongzhuan Chen, Jun Chen*. “Glioma Therapy Using Tumor Homing and Penetrating Peptide-Functionalized PEG-PLA Nanoparticles Loaded with Paclitaxel”. Biomaterials, 34, 2013.