- Mailing Address:
- School of Pharmacy
- University of Wisconsin
- 777 Highland Avenue
- Madison, WI 53705-2222
- 1024 Rennebohm Hall
- Phone: 608-265-1168 Email: email@example.com
- Pharmacy Practice Division
- Healio: Infectious Disease News. December 20, 2019
- Integrated Pharmacotherapy Skills course’s innovat
- AACP honors 3 faculty, 2 alumni as Walmart Scholar
Susanne G Barnett, PharmD, BCPS
Associate Professor (CHS)
Co-Director of Interprofessional Education (IPE) for the School of Pharmacy
Dr. Barnett's scholarship is motivated by identified areas of improvement in uniprofessional and interprofessional classroom settings and within her clinical practice site. Her research relies on quality improvement and assurance processes to guide antimicrobial stewardship and teaching practices.
Service to the School and University:
Interprofessional Education Committee, SOP, co-chair
Scholarships Committee, chair
Coordinating Committee Academic Programs, member
Experiential Learning Program (ELP) Committee, member
Experiential Advisory Committee, member
Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education (CIPE), Champions Committee, member
Center for Interprofessional Practice and Education (CIPE), Scholarships sub-committee, member
UWHC Clinical Simulation Center Champions Advisory Board, member
UWHC Clinical Simulation Center – Sim Prioritization Task Force, member
Service external to the School:
Federal Practitioner, Editorial Advisory Association member
Peer reviewer: American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education, Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning, Federal Practitioner, Teaching and Learning in Medicine
Susie joined the University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy in 2008 as a coordinator for the second-year Doctor of Pharmacy student Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences and as an Integrated Pharmacotherapy Laboratory coordinator. Susie received her PharmD from the University of Wisconsin in 2004. After graduation she completed a PGY-1 residency with Aurora Health Care in Milwaukee, WI.
- Dr. Barnett was appointed to the Federal Practitioner Editorial Advisory Association in February 2018. Susie has directed the Pharmacy Notes column for Federal Practitioner since 2015.
- Dr. Barnett and colleagues Drs. Gallimore and Porter were awarded the Rufus A. Lyman Award in July 2017 for the best paper published in the American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education (AJPE) in 2016.
Susie's practice experience is focused on inpatient antimicrobial stewardship and infectious diseases. She currently practices at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Madison and is involved with antimicrobial stewardship efforts. Her research interests focus on the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- PharmD 2004 - UW-Madison
- General Practice Res 2005 - Aurora Health Care, Milwaukee
Susie and Dr. Portillo were awarded the 2018 Laboratory Innovation and Teaching Excellence (LITE) Award for the submission of Use of a Video Modeling Framework to Teach Pharmacy Care Skills.
The LITE award recognizes members of the American Association for Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) Laboratory Instructors Special Interest Group (LabSIG) for teaching in the laboratory setting. Recipients were honored during the 2018 AACP Annual Meeting.
Susie was also inducted into the University of Wisconsin-Madison Teaching Academy as a Teaching Fellow in 2015.
728-525 and 728-526 Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences III and IV
728-559 Introduction to Antimicrobial Pharmacotherapy (elective course)
728-653 Pharmacotherapy Skills Lab
728-671 Introduction to Academic Teaching (elective course)
Teaching: Lecturer/Lab/Simulation Coordinator:
728-125 Exploring Pharmacy I, panelist
728-305 Consumer Self-Care and Over-the-Counter Drugs, lecturer
728-461 Pathways in Pharmacy Practice, IPE coordinator
728-654 Pharmacotherapy Skills Lab, lab coordinator
728-655 Pharmacotherapy, lecturer
728-656 Infectious Diseases Pharmacotherapy, lecturer
Basic Life Support Instructor
Dr. Barnett is an Antimicrobial Stewardship Pharmacist at the William S. Middleton Memorial Hospital. She has been practicing there since 2010.
- Antimicrobial Stewardship Program – Society of Infectious Disease Pharmacists (2013)
- Board certified in Pharmacotherapy (BCPS)
- Barnett SG, Lata P, Kavalier M, Crnich C, Balasubramanian P. Antibiotic assessment at hospital discharge – Room for stewardship intervention. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020;41(2):209-211.
- Legenza L, Barnett S, Rose W, et al. Clostridium difficile infection perceptions and practices: a multicenter qualitative study in South Africa. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018;7(125):1-11.
- Legenza L, Barnett S, Rose W, et al. Epidemiology and outcomes of Clostridium difficile infection among hospitalized patients: results of a multicenter retrospective study in South Africa. BMJ Glob Health. 2018;3:e000889.
- Pedretti Z, Chen J, Barnett S. Tedizolid use in immunocompromised patients. Fed Pract. 2018; 35(7):8-11.
- Legenza L, Barnett SG, Rose WE. A physician survey of antimicrobial stewardship culture and use of antimicrobial resistance data and resources. J Pharm Soc Wis. 2018;21(4):49-53.
- Gidal A, Barnett S. Risk factors associated with multidrug-resistant pneumonia in nonhospitalized patients. Fed Pract. 2018; 35(1):16-18. Corresponding author: Barnett S.
- Geiger B, Barnett S. The role of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus polymerase chain reaction nasal swabs in clinical decision making. Fed Pract. 2017;34(8):51-54. Corresponding author: Barnett S.
- Barnett SG, Nagy MW, Hakim R. Integration and assessment of the Situation-Background-Assessment-Recommendation framework into a pharmacotherapy skills laboratory for interprofessional communication and documentation. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2017;9(5):794-801.
- Legenza L, Barnett S, Rose W. Vaccines in development for the primary prevention of Clostridium difficile. JAPhA. 2017;57(4):547-549.
- Porter AL, Barnett SG, Gallimore CE. Development of a holistic assessment plan to evaluate a four-semester laboratory course series. Am J Pharm Ed. 2017;81(2). Article 33.
- Gallimore C, Porter A, Barnett S. Development and application of a stepwise assessment process for rational redesign of sequential skill-based courses. Am J Pharm Ed. 2016;80(8). Article 136.
- This paper was awarded the 2017 Rufus A. Lyman Award for best paper published in 2016.
- Kuecker C, Barnett S. The role of fidaxomicin in Clostridium difficile Infection. Fed Pract. 2016;33(5):46-48.Corresponding author: Barnett S. http://www.fedprac.com/search_redirect.php?page=24292 article=504113
- Barnett SG, Gallimore CE, Pitterle M, Morrill J. Impact of a paper vs virtual simulated patient case on student-perceived confidence and engagement. Am J Pharm Ed. 2016;80(1). Article 16.
- Hakim R, Barnett S. The role of procalcitonin in the management of infectious diseases. Fed Pract. 2015:32(12):52,54. Corresponding author: Barnett S.
- O’Reilly K, Barnett S. Assessment of Staphylococcus aureus MIC and Poor Patient Outcomes. Fed Pract. 2015;32:26-27. Corresponding author: Barnett S.
- Hakim R, Barnett S. Antimicrobial dosing for empiric and documented Pseudomonas. Fed Pract. 2015;32(6):23-24. Corresponding author: Barnett S.
- Barnett S, Gallimore C, Porter A, Kopacek K. Evaluation of electronic SOAP note grading and feedback. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2014;6(4):516-526.
- Lis J, Martin B, Margolis A, Barnett S, Kopacek K. Evaluation of a required teaching rotation for pharmacy residents at a school of pharmacy. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2014;6:158-166.
- Gallimore C, Barnett SG, Porter AL, Kopacek KJ. Evaluation of pharmacotherapy laboratory revisions implemented to reduce cost. Am J Pharm Ed. 2012;74(4). Article 67.
- Barnett SG, Kaske B. Impact of a health literacy presentation during an Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experience. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2012;4:39-45.
- This paper was highlighted by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality as follows: AHRQ Health Literacy Tool Helps University of Wisconsin School of Pharmacy Educate Students and Community Pharmacists: Prevention and Care Management, 2013. June 2013. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD.