Paul R Hutson, PharmD, MS
Director, UW Madison Transdisciplinary Center for Research in Psychoactive Substances Associate Member, Paul P. Carbone Cancer Center
Prof. Hutson’s present clinical research is focused on the safety and novel therapeutic uses of psilocybin and other psychoactive medications. These include the study of MDMA for PTSD, and psilocybin for depression and substance use disorder. In addition to assisting with clinical study design, Dr. Hutson holds an FDA investigational new drug exemption for psilocybin, as well as other necessary State and Federal possession authorizations.
Dr. Hutson also provides population pharmacokinetic modeling services using NONMEM and Phoenix/WinNonLin to University of Wisconsin researchers through the UW Institute for Clinical and Translational Research. Collaborative activities in pharmacokinetic modeling have included sparse sampling in murine research cohorts, porcine retinoid deprivation/supplementation, and bioengineering devices. UW researchers seeking consultation or pharmacokinetic modeling services are welcome to contact Paul Hutson directly, or through the UW ICTR Biostatistics and Research Design Resource: https://ictr.wisc.edu/bard
Director, UW Madison Transdisciplinary Center for Research in Psychoactive Substances
Member, UW ICTR Data Monitoring Committee
Chair, UW Madison Biomedical Sciences Area Review Committee
Paul Hutson, whose baccalaureate and master's degrees are in biochemistry and chemistry respectively, completed an oncology/pharmacokinetics fellowship at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital in Memphis. He was a faculty member at the University of Illinois for five years before moving to the UW Madison School of Pharmacy in 1988. Paul is Board Certified in Oncology Pharmacy (BCOP) and is an Associate Member of the UW Carbone Cancer Center. His clinical practice is in palliative care groups at the UW Hospital and Clinics.
Paul Hutson is the Director of the new UW–Madison Transdisciplinary Center for Research in Psychoactive Substances. Based in the UW–Madison School of Pharmacy, the center serves as a resource to investigators and scholars on campus and in the State of Wisconsin who are engaged in research on the therapeutic, cultural, and historic applications of drugs such as psilocybin, MDMA, and cannabis. These efforts include improving access to FDA-authorized clinical trials, particularly for underserved and underrepresented populations. The center also helps provide evidence-based information regarding such psychoactive substances to both academic and community audiences.
- BS 1975 Biochemistry - University of California-Los Angeles
- MS 1976 Chemistry - University of Washington
- BS Pharm. 1979 Pharmacy - University of Washington
- PharmD 1981 - University of Tennessee
- 728-551 Pharmacotherapy (Clinical Pharmacokinetics)
- 728-555 Pharmacotherapy (Opioids)
- 728-657 Seminars in Pediatrics
- 728-490 Seminars in Oncology Pharmacotherapy
- 726-640 Appropriate Use of Drugs of Abuse
- 728-656 Oncology Pharmacotherapy
- Dahmane E, Hutson PR, Gobburu JVS. Exposure-Response Analysis to Assess the Concentration-QTc Relationship of Psilocybin/Psilocin. Clin Pharmacol Drug Dev. 2021 Ja 10(1):78-85. doi: 10.1002/cpdd.796. Epub 2020 Apr 6. PMID: 32250059.
- Bishop MW, Hutson PR, Hank JA, et al. A Phase 1 and pharmacokinetic study evaluating daily or weekly schedules of the humanized anti-GD2 antibody hu14.18K322A in recurrent/refractory solid tumors. MAbs. 2020;12(1):1773751. doi:10.1080/19420862.2020.1773751.
- Rose WE, Hutson PR. A Two-Dose Oritavancin Regimen Using Pharmacokinetic Estimation Analysis. Drugs Real World Outcomes. 2020 Ju 7(Suppl 1):36-40. doi: 10.1007/s40801-020-00188-6. PMID: 32588386; PMCID: PMC7334312.
- Goldberg SB, Pace BT, Nicholas CR, Raison CL, Hutson PR. The experimental effects of psilocybin on symptoms of anxiety and depression: A meta-analysis. Psychiatry Res. 2020;284:112749. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2020.112749.
- Nicholas CR, Henriquez KM, Gassman MC, Cooper KM, Muller D, Hetzel S, Brown RT, Cozzi NV, Thomas C, Hutson PR. High dose psilocybin is associated with positive subjective effects in healthy volunteers. J Psychopharmacol. 2018 Jul;32(7):770-778. doi: 10.1177/0269881118780713. Epub 2018 Jun 27. PubMed PMID: 29945469.
- Brown RT, Nicholas CR, Cozzi NV, Gassman MC, Cooper KM, Muller D, Thomas CD, Hetzel SJ, Henriquez KM, Ribaudo AS, Hutson PR. Pharmacokinetics of Escalating Doses of Oral Psilocybin in Healthy Adults. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2017 Mar 28. doi: 10.1007/s40262-017-0540-6. PubMed PMID: 28353056.
- Hutson P, Backonja M, Knurr H. Intravenous Lidocaine for Neuropathic Pain: A Retrospective Analysis of Tolerability and Efficacy. Pain Med. 2014 Dec 19. PubMed PMID: 25530475.
- Wong L, Hutson PR, Bushman W. Resolution of chronic bacterial-induced prostatic inflammation reverses established fibrosis. Prostate. 2015 Ja 75(1):23-32. doi: 10.1002/pros.22886. Epub 2014 Oct 4. PubMed PMID: 25284058; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4257860.
- Callander N, Markovina S, Eickhoff J, Hutson P, Campbell T, Hematti P, Go R, Hegeman R, Longo W, Williams E, Asimakopoulos F, Miyamoto S. Acetyl-L-carnitine (ALCAR) for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy in patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma treated with bortezomib, doxorubicin and low-dose dexamethasone: a study from the Wisconsin Oncology Network. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2014 Oct;74(4):875-82. PubMed PMID: 25168296; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4175433.
- Wong L, Hutson PR, Bushman W. Prostatic inflammation induces fibrosis in a mouse model of chronic bacterial infection. PLoS One. 2014 Jun 20;9(6):e100770. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0100770. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 24950301; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4065064.
- Navid F, Sondel PM, Barfield R, Shulkin BL, Kaufman RA, Allay JA, Gan J, Hutson P, Seo S, Kim K, Goldberg J, Hank JA, Billups CA, Wu J, Furman WL, McGregor LM, Otto M, Gillies SD, Handgretinger R, Santana VM. Phase I trial of a novel anti-GD2 monoclonal antibody, Hu14.18K322A, designed to decrease toxicity in children with refractory or recurrent neuroblastoma. J Clin Oncol. 2014;10:1445-52. PMID: 24711551
- Zhang Y, Jiang H, Hutson P. Stability of acetyl-1-carnitine in 5% dextrose using a high-performance liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry times 2 method. Int J Pharm Compd. 2012; 16:170-3. PMID: 23050330
- Zhang Y, Scarlett C, Hutson P. Stability of carboplatin, paclitaxel, and docetaxel with acetyl-l-carnitine during simulated Y-site administration. Int J Pharm Compd. 2012; 16: 82-5. PMID: 23050317
- Surles RL, Hutson PR, Valentine AL, Miles JP, Tanumihardjo SA. 3,4-didehydroretinol kinetics differ Turing lactation in sows on a retinol depletion regimen and the serum:milk 3,4-didehydroretinol:retinol ratios are correlated. J Nutr 2011; 141: 554-9. PMID: 21310863
- Rose WE, Knier RM, Hutson PR. Pharmacodynamic effect of clinical vancomycin exposures on cell wall thickness in heterogeneous vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010 Oct;65:2149-54. PMID: 20693174
- Engle DB, Belisle JA, Gubbels JA, Petrie SE, Hutson PR, Kushner DM, Patankar MS. Effect of acetyl-l-carnitine on ovarian cancer cells' proliferation, nerve growth factor receptor (Trk-A and p75) expression, and the cytotoxic potential of paclitaxel and carboplatin. Gynecol Oncol. 2009;112:631-6. PMID: 19263582
- Lipinski RJ, Hutson PR, Hannam PW, Nydza RJ, Washington IM, Moore RW, Girdaukas GG, Peterson RE, Bushman W. Dose- and route-dependent teratogenicity, toxicity, and pharmacokinetic profiles of the hedgehog signaling antagonist cyclopamine in the mouse. Toxicol Sci. 2008;104:189-97. PMID: 18411234
- Hutson PR, Oettel K, Douglas J, Ritter M, Messing E, Staab MJ, Alberti D, Horvath D, Wilding G. Effect of medical castration on CYP3A4 enzyme activity using the erythromycin breath test. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol. 2008;62:373-7. PMID: 17922273
- Sansone JM, Wilsman NJ, Leiferman EM, Conway J, Hutson P, Noonan KJ. The Effect of Fluoroquinolone Antibiotics on Growing Cartilage in the Lamb Model. J Ped Ortho 2008; 2009; 29: 189-95. PMID: 19352246
- Dubey S, Hutson P, Alberti D, Arzoomanian R, Binger K, Volkman J, Feierabend C, Wilding G, Schiller JH. Phase I study of docetaxel and topotecan in patients with advanced malignancies. J Oncol Pharm Pract. 2005;11:131-8. PMID: 16595064
- Hutson PR, Love RR, Havighurst TC, Rogers E, Cleary JF., Effect of exemestane on tamoxifen pharmacokinetics in postmenopausal women treated for breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2005; 11: 8722-7. PMID: 16361559
- Mould DR, Holford NH, Schellens JH, et al. Population pharmacokinetic and adverse event analysis of topotecan in patients with solid tumors. Clin Pharmacol Ther 2002;71:334-48. PMID: 12011819