Seungpyo Hong, PhD
Director, Wisconsin Center for NanoBioSystems
Our research focus lies at the interface of materials science, biology and nanotechnology to develop novel polymeric nanodevices for biological analysis, diagnostics and therapeutics. The ultimate goal of our laboratory is to achieve marriage of biomimetics and nanotechnology. Our work is being conducted in a highly interdisciplinary and collaborative environment that provides opportunities for students with backgrounds and/or interests in chemistry, engineering, biology, medicine and pharmaceutical sciences.
More specifically, we are interested in understanding and controlling biological interactions of polymers with cells at the nano-scale. The fundamental understanding will lead us to more translational cancer research fields including: i) Novel nanocarriers for precisely engineered biological behaviors and improved targeting efficacy; and ii) Biomimetic multifunctional devices for effective detection and isolation of circulating rare cells and biomarkers.
Dr. Seungpyo Hong is Professor of Pharmaceutics in the Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (UW-Madison). He also serves as Associate Editor for Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine of Elsevier. He graduated from Hanyang University in Seoul, Korea with BS and MS degrees in polymer engineering in 1999 and 2001, respectively. After working as a researcher at Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), he started his PhD study at the University of Michigan working with his advisors Profs. Mark Banaszak Holl and James Baker, Jr. Dr. Hong graduated with his PhD in Macromolecular Science and Engineering in 2006 and joined Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) as a postdoctoral associate in the laboratory of Prof. Robert Langer. From 2008 to 2014, Seungpyo was Assistant Professor in the College of Pharmacy at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) where he was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2014, and subsequently joined the UW-Madison faculty as full Professor in 2016. Since 2008, he has led a research group under the major research theme of “Biomimetic Nanotechnology” for cancer diagnosis and treatment. To date, Prof. Hong’s research has culminated in over 80 peer-reviewed articles that have a combined total number of citations over 12,000 times with an h-index of 34, 7 book chapters, and 17 issued or pending patents, while delivering over 130 invited talks worldwide and over 180 conference proceedings. His academic/research achievements have been recognized by the related scientific communities, resulting in him receiving a number of awards including 2012 AAPS New Investigator Award in Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technologies and 2012 UIC Researcher of the Year - Rising Star Award.
- 1999 BS in Fiber and Polymer Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, KOREA
- 2001 MS in Polymer Engineering, Hanyang University/Korea Inst. of Sci. and Technol. (KIST), Seoul, KOREA
- 2006 PhD in Macromolecular Science and Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- 2008 Postdoc, Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Cambridge, MA
- 1999-2002 Research Assistant, Polymer Hybrids Research Center, KIST, Seoul, KOREA
- 2008-2014 Assistant Professor, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL
- 2014-2016 Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Education for the College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- 2015-2018 Associate Professor, Underwood International College, Yonsei University, Seoul/Incheon, KOREA
- 2015-Present Co-founder and President, Capio Biosciences, Inc., Madison, WI
- 2016-Present Associate Editor, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, Elsevier
- 2016-Present Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- 2017-Present Member, Carbone Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- “Tumor Penetration of Sub-10 nm Nanoparticles: Effect of dendrimer properties on their penetration in multicellular tumor spheroids” J. Bugno, M. Poellmann, K. Sokolowski, H.-j. Hsu, D.H. Kim*, andS. Hong*, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 2019, In Revision.
- “A Dendrimer-based Platform for Effective Capture of Tumor Cells after TGFβ1-induced Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition” J.H. Myung,A. Cha, K.A. Tam, M. Peollmann, A. Borgeat, R. Sharifi, R.E. Molokie, G. Votta-Velis, andS. Hong*, Analytical Chemistry 2019, In Press.
- “Diagnosis of Alzhemimer’s Disease Utilizing Amyloid and Tau as Fluid Biomarkers” J.C. Lee, S.J. Kim, S. Hong, Y. Kim*, Experimental Molecular Medicine 2019, 51(5), 53.
- “Sub-lethal Hyperthermia Promotes Epithelial-to-mesenchymal-like Transition of Breast Cancer Cells: Implication of the synergy between hyperthermia and chemotherapy” T.H. Lee, J. Bu, B.H. Kim, M.J. Poellmann, S. Hong*, and S.H. Hyun*, RSC Advances 2019, 9, 52-57.
- “Peptide-nanoparticle Conjugates: A next generation of diagnostic and therapeutic platforms?” W.J. Jeong, J. Bu, L.J. Kubiatowicz, S.S. Chen, Y. Kim, and S. Hong*, Nano Convergence 2018, 5(1), 38.
- “Would Antioxidant-loaded Nanoparticles Present an Effective Treatment for Ischemic Stroke?” M.J. Poellmann, J. Bu, and S. Hong*, Nanomedicine (UK) 2018, 13(18), 2327-2340.
- "Dendritic PEG Outer Shells Enhance Serum Stability of Polymeric Micelles" H.-j. Hsu, Y. Han, M. Cheong, P. Kral, and S. Hong*, Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 2018, 14(6), 1879-1889.
- "Non-catalytic Endosialidase Enables Surface Capture of Small-cell Lung Cancer Cells Utilizing Strong Dendrimer-mediated Enzyme-Glycoprotein Interactions" H.-j. Hsu, H. Palka-Hamblin, G.P. Bhide, J.H. Myung, M. Cheong, K.J. Colley, and S. Hong*, Analytical Chemistry 2018, 90(6), 3670-3675.
- "Bespoke Pretargeted Nano-Radioimmunotherapy for the Treatment of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma" K.M. Au, A. Tripathy, C. P.-I. Lin, K. Wagner, S. Hong, A.Z. Wang, and S. Park*, ACS Nano 2018, 12(2), 1544-1563.
- "Nanotechnology Enabling the Use of Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) as Reliable Cancer Biomarkers" Hong* and A.Z. Wang*, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2018, 125, 1-2.
- "Integration of Biomimicry and Nanotechnology for Significantly Improved Detection of Circulating Tumor Cells" J.H. Myung, S-j. Park, A.Z. Wang, and S. Hong*, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2018, 125, 36-47.
- "Clinical Indications for, and the Future of, Circulating Tumor Cells" Moon, S. Hong, and A.Z. Wang*, Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 2018, 125, 143-150.
- "Multivalent Binding and Biomimetic Cell Roling Improves the Sensitivity and Specificity of Circulating Tumor Cell (CTC) Capture" J.H. Myung, M.J. Eblan, J.M. Caster, K. Wang, S.-j. Park, K.A. Tam, S.M. Miller, R.L. Green, R.C. Chen, J.E. Tepper, B.S. Chera, A.Z. Wang*, and S. Hong*, Clinical Cancer Research 2018, 24(11), 2539-2547.
- "Next-Generation CDK2/9 Inhibitors and Anaphase Catastrophe in Lung Cancer " Kawakami, L.M. Mustachio, J. Rodriguez-Canales, B. Mino, J. Roszik, P. Tong, J. Wang, J.J. Lee, J.H. Myung, J.V. Heymach, F.M. Johnson, S. Hong, L. Zheng, S. Hu, P.A. Villalobos, C. Behrens, I. Wistuba, S. Freemantle, X. Liu, and E. Dmitrovsky*, Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2017, 109(6), djw297.
- "Dendrimer-based Nanocarriers: A versatile platform for drug delivery" H.-j. Hsu, J. Bugno, S.-r. Lee, and S. Hong*,WIREs Nanomedicine Nanobiotechnology 2017, 9, e1409.
- “Chemical Structure and Surface Modification of Dendritic Nanomaterials Tailored for Therapeutic and Diagnostic Applications”J.H. Myung, H.-j. Hsu, J. Bugno, K.A. Tam, andS. Hong*,Current Topics in Medicinal Chemistry 2017, 17(13), 1542-1554.
- “Tuning Selectivity of Dendron Micelles through Variations of the PEG Corona”R.M. Pearson, S. Sen, H.-j. Hsu, M. Pasko, M. Gaske, P. Kral, andS. Hong*, ACS Nano 2016, 10(7), 6905-6914.
- “Targeted Treatment of FLT3-Overexpressing Acute Myelid Leukoemia with miR-150 Nanoparticles Guided by FLT3 Ligand Peptides” Jiang, J. Bugno, C. Hu, Y. Yang, T. Herold, J. Qi, P. Chen, S. Gurbuxani, S. Arnovitz, B. Ulrich, H. Weng, Y. W. Wang, H. Huang, S. Li, J. Strong, M.B. Neilly, R.A. Larson, M.M. Le Beau, S.K. Bohlander, J. Jin, Z. Li, J.E. Bradner, S. Hong*,and J. Chen*, Cancer Research 2016, 76(15), 4470-4480.
- “miR-22Plays a Potent Anti-tumor Role with Therapeutic Potential in Acute Myeloid Leukemia” Jiang, C. Hu, S. Arnovitz, J. Bugno, M. Yu, Z. Zuo, P. Chen, H. Huang, B. Ulrich, C. Hu, S. Gurbuxani, H. Weng, J. Strong, Y. Wang, Y. Li, J. Salat, S. Li, A.G. Elkahloun, Y. Yang, M.B. Neilly, R.A. Larson, M.M. Le Beau, T. Herold, S.K. Bohlander, P.P. Liu, J. Zhang, Z. Li, C. He, J. Jin, S. Hong, and J. Chen*, Nature Communications 2016, 7, 11452.
- "Biomimetic 3D Clusters using Human Adipose Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Breast Cancer Cells: A study on migration and invasion of breast cancer cells" M.H. Park, B. Song, S. Hong, K. Lee*, and S.-H. Kim*, Molecular Pharmaceutics 2016, 13(7), 2204-2213.
- “Size and Surface Charge of Engineered Poly(amidoamine) Dendrimers Modulate Tumor Accumulation and Penetration: A model study using multicellular tumor spheroids” Bugno, H.-j. Hsu, R.M. Pearson, H. Noh, and S. Hong*, Molecular Pharmaceutics 2016, 13(7), 2155-2163.
- "Single Plasmonic Nanoparticles for Ultrasensitive DNA Sensing: From invisible to visible” Guo, L. Chen, S. Hong*, and D.-H. Kim*, Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2016, 79, 266-272.
- “Recent Advances in Nanotechnology-based Detection and Separation of Circulating Tumor Cells” J.H. Myung, K.A. Tam, S.-j. Park, A. Cha, and S. Hong*, WIREs Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology 2016, 8(2), 223-239. Highlighted as Cover of the issue.
- “Microfluidic Devices to Enrich and Isolate Circualting Tumor Cells” J.H. Myung and S. Hong*,Lab on a Chip, 2015, 15, 4500-4511.
- “Effective Capture of Circulating Tumor Cells from a Transgenic Mouse Lung Cancer Model using Dendrimer Surfaces Immobilized with anti-EGFR” J.H. Myung, M. Roengvoraphoj, K.A. Tam, T. Ma, V.A. Memoli, E. Dmitrovsky, S.J. Freemantle, and S. Hong*, Analytical Chemistry 2015, 87(19), 10096-10102.
- “Tweaking Dendrimers and Dendritic Nanoparticles for Controlled Nano-bio Interactions: Potential Nanocarriers for Improved Cancer Targeting” Bugno, H.-J. Hsu, and S. Hong*, Journal of Drug Targeting 2015, 23(7-8), 642-650. Invited Review for a special issue honoring Robert Langer.
- “The Cyclic Peptide Ecumicin Targeting ClpC1 Is Active Against Mycobacterium Tuberculosis In Vivo” Gao, J.-Y. Kim, J. Anderson, T. Akopian, S. Hong, Y.-Y. Jin, O. Kandror, J.-W. Kim, I.-He. Lee, S. Lee, J. McAlpine, S. Mulugeta, S. Sunoqrot, Y. Wang, S. Yang, T. Yoon, A. Goldberg, G. Pauli, J. Suh, S. Ranzblau, and S. Cho, Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2015, 59(2), 880-889.
- “Recent Advances in Targeted Drug Delivery Approaches using Dendritic Polymers” Bugno, H.-J. Hsu, and S. Hong*, Biomaterials Science 2015, 3(7), 1025-1034.
- “Nanoparticle Protein Corona: A survey of recent literature and its implications in targeted drug delivery” R.M. Pearson, V.V. Juettner, and S. Hong*, Frontiers in Chemistry 2014, 2, 108.
- “Poly(ethylene glycol) Corona Chain Length Controls End-group-dependent Cell Interactions of Dendron Micelles” H.-J. Hsu, S. Sen, R.M. Pearson, P. Kral, and S. Hong*, Macromolecules 2014, 47, 6911-6918.
- “Differential Detection of Tumor Cells using a Combination of Cell Rolling, Multivalent Binding, and Multiple Antibodies” J.H. Myung, K.A. Gajjar, J. Chen, R.E. Molokie, and S. Hong*, Analytical Chemisty 2014, 86(12), 6088-6094.
- “Prolonged Blood Circulation and Enhanced Tumor Accumulation of Folate-targeted Dendrimer-Polymer Hybrid Nanoparticles” S. Sunoqrot, J. Bugno, D. Lantvit, J.E. Burdette, and S. Hong*, Journal of Controlled Release 2014,191, 115-122.
- “Understanding Nano-bio Interactions to Improve Nanocarriers for Drug Delivery” R.M. Pearson, H.-J. Hsu, J. Bugno, and S. Hong*, MRS Bulletin 2014, 39(3), 227-237.
- “Dendron-based Micelles for Topical Delivery of Endoxifen: A potential chemo-preventive medicine for breast cancer” Y. Yang, R.M. Pearson, O. Lee, R.T. Chatterton, S.A. Khan, and S. Hong*, Advanced Functional Materials 2014, 24(17), 2441-2449.Highlighted by the journal as Frontispiece.
- “Follicle Stimulating Hormone Peptide-conjugated Dendrimers for Targeted Delivery to Overain Cancer Cells” Modi, S, Sunoqrot, S. Hong*, and J. Burdette*, Nanoscale 2014, 6(5), 2812-2820.
- “Epithelial-Mesenchymal Transition Enhances Nano-scale Actin Filament Dynamics of Ovarian Cancer Cells: Implication for a mechanism of ovarian cancer metastasis” Lee, Y. Yang, D. Fishman, M.M. Banaszak Holl, and S. Hong*, Journal of Physical Chemistry B 2013, 117(31), 9233-9240.
- “Sustained Release of Matrix Metalloproteinase-3 to Trabecular Meshwork Cells using Biodegradable PLGA Microparticles” Turturro, S. Sunoqrot, H. Ying, S. Hong*, and B. Yue*, Molecular Pharmaceutics 2013, 10(8), 3023-2032.
- “Enhanced Oral Bioavailability of the Hydrophobic Chemopreventive Agent (SR13668) in Beagle Dogs” A. Banerjee, H. Shen, M. Hautman, J. Anwer, S. Hong, I.M. Kapetanovic, A.V. Lyubimov, and Y. Liu*, Current Pharmaceutical Biotechnology 2013, 14(4), 464-469.
- “Solid-Phase Colorimetric Sensor Based on Gold Nanoparticle-Loaded Polymer Brushes: Lead detection as a case study”A.R. Ferhan, L. Guo, X. Zhou, P. Chen, S. Hong, and D.H. Kim*, Analytical Chemistry 2013, 85(8), 4094-4099.
- “Nanoscale Polymeric Penetration Enhancers in Topical Drug Delivery” Yang, J. Bugno, and S. Hong*, Polymer Chemistry 2013, 4, 2651-2657.
- “Positively Charged Dendron Micelles Display Negligible Cellular Interactions”M. Pearson, P. Niladri, H.-J. Hsu, S. Uddin, P. Kral, and S. Hong*, ACS Macro Letters 2013, 2(1), 77-81.
- “In Vitro Evaluation of Dendrimer-Polymer Hybrid Nanoparticles on Their Controlled Cellular Targeting Kinetics” S. Sunoqrot, Y. Liu, D.-H. Kim, and Hong*, Molecular Pharmaceutics 2013, 10(6), 2157-2166.
- “Distance-mediated Plasmonic Dimers for Reusable Colorimetric Switches: A measurable peak shift of over 60 nm” Guo, A.R. Ferhan, H. Chen, C. Li, G. Chen, S. Hong, and D.H. Kim*, Small 2013, 9(2), 234-240. Highlighted by the journal as Frontispiece.
- “Nanotechnology in Corneal Neovascularization Therapy - a review” Gonzalez, R.J. Loza, K.-Y. Hang, S. Sunoqrot, C. Cunningham, P. Purta, J. Drake, S. Jain, S. Hong, and J.-H. Chang*, Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics 2013, 29(2), 124-134.
- “Enhanced Oral Bioavailability of a Cancer Preventive Agent (SR13668) by Employing Polymerica Nanoparticles with High Drug Loading” Shen, A.A. Banerjee, P. Mlynarska, M. Hautman, S. Hong, I.M. Kapetanovic, A.V. Lyubimov, and Y. Liu*, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 2012, 101(10), 3877-3885.
- “The Role of Polymers in Detection and Isolation of Circulating Tumor Cells”H. Myung, K.A. Gajjar, Y.E. Han, and S. Hong*, Polymer Chemistry 2012, 3(9), 2336-2341.
- “Dendritic Nanoparticles: The next generation of nanocarriers?”M. Pearson, S. Sunoqrot, H.-J. Hsu, J.W. Bae, and S. Hong*, Therapeutic Delivery 2012, 3(8), 941-959.
- “Effect of Size, Surface Charge, and Hydrophobicity of Poly(amidoamine) (PAMAM) Dendrimers on Their Skin Penetration” Y. Yang, S. Sunoqrot, C. Stowell, J. Ji, C.W. Lee, J.W. Kim, S.A. Khan, and S. Hong* Biomacromolecules 2012, 13(7), 2154-2162.
- “Channel Surface Patterning of Alternating Biomimetic Protein Combinations for Enhanced Microfluidic Tumor Cell Isolation” Launiere, M. Gaskill, G. Czaplewski, J.H. Myung, S. Hong, and D.T. Eddington*, Analytical Chemistry 2012, 84(9), 4022-4028.
- “Temporal Control over Cellular Targeting through Hybridization of Folate-targeted Dendrimers and PEG-PLA Nanoparticles” Sunoqrot, J.W. Bae, R.M. Pearson, K. Shyu, Y. Liu, D.H. Kim, and S. Hong*, Biomacromolecules 2012, 13(4), 1223-1230.
- “Dendrimer-Mediated Multivalent Binding for Enhanced Capture of Tumor Cells” J.H. Myung, K.A. Gajjar, J. Saric, D.T. Eddington, and S. Hong* Angewandte Chemie International Edition 2011, 50(49), 11769-11772. Highlighted by the journal as a HOT PAPER. Highlighted in Faculty of 1000 by Dr. Donald Tomalia. Highlighted by UIC News Service.
- “Dendron-Mediated Self-Assembly of Highly PEGylated Block Copolymers” J.W. Bae, R.M. Pearson, N. Patra, S. Sunoqrot, L. Vukovic, P. Kral, and S. Hong*, Chemical Communications 2011, 47(37), 10302-10304.
- “Self-Assembling Process of Flash NanoPrecipitation in a Multi-inlet Vortex Mixer (MIVM) to Produce Drug-Loaded Polymeric Nanoparticles” Shen, S. Hong, R. Prud’homme, and Y. Liu*, Journal of Nanoparticle Research 2011, 13(9), 4109-4120.
- “Rheologically Biomimetic Cell Suspensions for Decreased Cell settling in Microfluidic Devices”A. Launiere, G.J. Czaplewski, J.H. Myung, S. Hong, and D.T. Eddington*, Biomedical Microdevices 2011, 13(3), 549-557.
- “Kinetically Controlled Cellular Interactions of Polymer-Polymer and Polymer-Liposome Nanohybrid Systems” Sunoqrot, J.W. Bae, S.E. Jin, R.M. Pearson, Y. Liu, and S. Hong*, Bioconjugate Chemistry 2011, 22(3), 466-474.
- “Direct Measurements on CD24-Mediated Rolling of Human Breast Cancer MCF-7 Cells on E-selectin”H. Myung, K.A. Gajjar, R.M. Pearson, C.A. Launiere, D.T. Eddington, and S. Hong*, Analytical Chemistry 2011, 83(3), 1078-1083. Highlighted by C EN (Jan. 13, 2011).